RE: httpbis and deflate compression...

That is consistent with what we've seen / heard; deflate never or almost never actually gets used because gzip is usually also an option and tends to be preferred.

--J

-----Original Message-----
From: David Morris [mailto:dwm@xpasc.com]
Sent: Thu 3/25/2010 6:08 PM
To: Julian Reschke
Cc: Dan Winship; Mahdavi, Jamshid; ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: httpbis and deflate compression...

I have a limited sample of wild web proxy data streams which I could
check for what is used.

In a data sample that lasted about 5 minutes, I captured 4500+
request/responses. Of these:
   648 has a non-empty Content-encoding
   638  gzip
     2  none
     1  UTF-8
     6  sdch,gzip
In the same data
  2436 have a non-empty accept encoding on the request
  2433 were gzip, deflate
     3 were gzip

There were 836 unique host names in the data. (x.google.com and
y.google.com are unique). And roughly 350 unique sites.

In this sample, as processed, there were no deflate encoded responses.

If someone could provide sniff like rules I could apply to deflate
content, if I find any, to determine which variation it is, I can
examine the data again as well as some additional data I have to
see if deflate is used and how many sites use it.

This user population is probably biased to variations of IE but
I don't have user agent analysis handy.

Ideally, you'd send a python regex I could just fold into my tool.

Dave Morris