Re: httpbis and deflate compression...

On 03/22/2010 08:49 PM, Mahdavi, Jamshid wrote:
> We could try to clarify this by adding an implementation note to the
> text. Alternately, since some servers actually do implement *just* the
> 1951 version, we could add another content-coding which is
> specifically for this.

My understanding is that the "bare" version is actually more common on
the web than the correct version, due to the fact that at least IE6 and
IE7 (not sure about 8 and 9) only support the bare version, and most
other browsers support both.

Given the confusion, and the fact that all current web browsers that
support deflate also support gzip, and that deflate has no real benefits
over gzip, another possibility would be to just deprecate "deflate" (and
"compress", which no one implements anyway) and encourage clients to
just send "Accept-Encoding: gzip".

-- Dan