Re: Request for feedback on HTTP Location header syntax + semantics, Re: Issues 43 and 185, was: Issue 43 (combining fragments)

On 12.03.2010 17:53, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> The reason the spec "does not define" it (which I think is debatable)
> stems from HTTP's incomplete embrace of the
> identification/resource/representation theory in the case of
> redirects. For example:
>
>     "For 3xx responses, the location SHOULD
>     indicate the server's preferred URI for automatic redirection to the
>     resource."
>
> More I/R/R friendly might be
>
>     "For 3xx responses, the location SHOULD
>     identify a resource for which a representation should
>     be obtained."

That would be incorrect for methods other than HEAD/GET...

But yes, clearing up the terminology about representations and resources
is on the TODO list; hopefully we'll be able to get this done soonish.

Best regards, Julian