Re: Request for feedback on HTTP Location header syntax + semantics, Re: Issues 43 and 185, was: Issue 43 (combining fragments)

On 11.03.2010 18:22, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> On 11.03.2010 16:38, Jonas Sicking wrote:

>>> Is there a reason to use SHOULD rather than MUST? If not I'd say use MUST.
>>
>> Usually we don't add normative requirements on top of RFC 2616, unless we're
>> clearly fixing a bug (which is not the case here), or are confident that
>> we're just writing down what everybody is doing anyway.
>
> Why? Isn't the point of a spec to encourage interoperable behavior?

It depends.

If there's no interop today, and the existing implementations are
conforming with respect to RFC 2616, we *usually* don't break them -
there would need to be very good reasons to do so, such as security
related ones.

Best regards, Julian