Re: FYI: Google blog on Unicode

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:26:17 +0100
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> Forwarded from Mark Davis:
>
>  > There's a blog on Unicode that people may find interesting:
>  > http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/unicode-nearing-50-of-web.html
>
> This is detected actual use, not necessarily what's labeled.
>
> I hope that this will help getting rid of what's still left of
> iso-8859-1 in the HTTP spec and in default settings for server
> implementations.

The only place where HTTPbis has a normative reference to ISO-8859-1 is
for the character set defaults when encoding information is missing
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/20>).

So what would be relevant here is the percentage of UTF-8 in use for
unlabeled content.

Best regards, Julian