Re: parameter quoting - LC comment on draft-nottingham-http-link-header-07.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:02:04 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: mjb@asplake.co.uk, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I agree in principle, but practically, it's almost a foregone conclusion that people will produce these unquoted, and implementations will consume them happily. I'd rather align with what is done in practice, even if it does preclude using a generic parser...

I just did some testing with the two UAs I have that actually do
something the the Link header; Firefox and Opera.

Both process the type parameter both quoted and unquoted. So minimally
the ABNF should allow both.

That being said, given the little amount of deployment, I'd *much*
prefer to make the ABNF consistent with generic parameter parsing, and
potentially just add a statement that unquoted type parameters may occur
in the wild (*) and may have to be accepted as well.

Best regards, Julian

(*) do they, outside of test cases?