parameter quoting - LC comment on draft-nottingham-http-link-header-07.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:47:50 +0100
To: Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

a few comments regarding quoting of link parameters:

defines the new parameters:

                      | ( "hreflang" "=" Language-Tag )
                      | ( "media" "=" ( MediaDesc | <"> MediaDesc <"> ) )

"hreflang" and "media", so quoting is allowed for media, but it's not
for hreflang. I think it's correct that valid language tags never
require quoting, but I'm not sure that disallowing quoting is the right
thing to do here.

Which made have a closer look at existing parameters (sorry for not
bringing this up earlier):

                      | ( "type" "=" type-name "/" subtype-name )

I believe this *definitively* needs quoting, as "/" is a separator
character in HTTP and thus can not appear in a token.

Also, as this spec uses the RFC 2616 ABNF, we probably need to duplicate
the statement from

"...Linear white space (LWS) MUST NOT be used between the type and
subtype, ..."

Best regards, Julian