Re: Past Proposals for HTTP Auth Logout

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Tim wrote:

> I hope to release a paper in the next few weeks describing why HTTP
> authentication is still relevant and how to make it more usable in
> theory and practice.  Your feedback has been most helpful.  I will
> post a link here when I have it ready.

Perhaps more important than browser considerations is support of
programatic User Agents where there is no direct human interaction.
HTTP authentication is certainly relevant in that space and should
be covered in any proposals for enhancement.

There is also what I'd call an intermediate User Agent ... where a
person may trigger a data transfer task interactively but not
care about success or failure. A common example would be Subversion.

Dave Morris