Re: Past Proposals for HTTP Auth Logout

On Jan 7, 2010, at 10:51 PM, David Morris wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:
>>> I'm doing some research and I'm interested in learning about any
>>> past
>>> proposals to augment HTTP authentication (basic/digest) with a
>>> logout
>>> feature.  I have spent several hours reading mailing list archives
>>> and
>>> searching the web, and while I've found plenty of related
>>> information,
>>> I'm surprised to find no concrete proposals for this feature.
>>
>> I don't see how that concerns HTTP; it's a missing feature on the
>> browsers.
>>
>> Credentials are sent on every request. All you need is a logout
>> button on
>> the *browser* that makes it stop sending credentials. Go file feature
>> requests to the browser vendors :)
>
> So on what basis does the browser prompt again? It is likely a
> better user
> experience if the flush credentials is part of a server response to a
> web page logout button which lets both ends know the logout occured
> and
> takes the user to a page which doesn't immediately present a new
> credential dialog.

This is a hypermedia and/or browser issue, not an HTTP issue. The
server can send along with the 401 response a representation to
display. Maybe the version of the page for unauthenticated users. The
browser can display a less annoying dialog or button in the GUI
showing the client that it *can* login. Otherwise the client could
continue or be redirected to a non-auth version of the Web site.

It is just a matter of what the browser makes of the 401 response. It
need not display the login dialog right away.

Jan

Jan Algermissen

Mail: algermissen@acm.org
Blog: http://algermissen.blogspot.com/