Re: update: http progress notification

OK, so HTTP/1.0 is covered in any case, since 1xx responses are not
allowed to HTTP/1.0 clients.

That just leaves the issue of whether a client should indicate support
(or desire) for progress notifications or not.

I'm a little bit reluctant to suggest the progress notifications should
not require any indication from the client.  If only because some
clients may want to be able to suppress generation of such messages for
whatever reason.

So I think my preferred option is a Progress token in the Connection
header.  That way I don't have to try and dream up something useful in
terms of parameters for a potential Progress request header.  It also
means clients that aren't written (e.g. existing clients) to process
these messages won't receive them for discarding and waste bandwidth
(esp over slower high-cost circuits such as GPRS / G3 etc).

So, I'll mark up a new I-D for this, proposing 103 as the status which
appears to be free still in the IANA registry.

Thanks all for your help.

Regards

Adrien