Re: proposal for issue #178

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 07:37:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: Henrik Nordström <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Sun, 9 May 2010, Henrik Nordström wrote:

> ons 2010-03-24 klockan 20:47 -0400 skrev Yves Lafon:
>
>>     If the 206 response is the result of an If-Range request, the
>>     response SHOULD NOT include other entity-headers.  Otherwise, the
>>     response MUST include all of the entity-headers that would have been
>>     returned with a 200 (OK) response to the same request, except for
>>     Content-MD5 that MUST NOT be present.
>
> For compatibility reasons this can not be a MUST NOT, only a SHOULD NOT.
>
>>     Recipients MUST ignore Content-MD5 on 206 responses; Caches MUST strip
>>     Content-MD5 when caching or combining 206 responses with existing
>>     cached content.
>
> Same here.

Issue with a SHOULD NOT is that Content-MD5 may be present, and in that
case we have a real interoperability issue. It is one of the few areas
where we need to break compatibility (but as not that many servers are
sending Content-MD5, and even less for Content-MD5 for 206 responses, it
is quite unlikely that it will break implementations)

         ~~Yves