Re: Expect: 100-continue and proxies

Hi

with reference to
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-decroy-http-progress-04.txt which was the
last iteration of the proposal, the issues I see needing some further
discussion are:

1. what form a client advertisement of support for Progress should
take.  The I-D currently proposes a request header called Progress.
Another option could be a Connection token.  E.g. Connection:
Keep-alive, Progress.  This would (should) then be stripped from
requests by proxies, which could be safer, in that the proxy handling
Progress would therefore also be sure to handle multiple 1xx responses
from upstream. A compliant proxy could re-add such a header, although it
makes no sense to add the header if the client did not initially provide it.

2. Whether or not it makes any sense for a client to suggest relevant
timeframes for progress.

3. Whether it makes any sense to really limit rate of interim
why limit updates to max 1/s

4. How best to transfer messages for humans.  One suggestion was to use
a set of well-known tokens that would be universally understood, and
could therefore be appropriately localised by the browser.

There are also potential issues with what to do about streamed
(unending) media content.  This is currently not contemplated by the
I-D, and potentiall falls outside its scope, although it's another issue
related to gateway scanning.  My feeling is that progress notifications
provide benefit in a number of situations so perhaps it's best to keep
it simple so it can proceed, I don't think it will resolve issues around
pending / spooling of media content, and in fact I think the only way
around that would be some other mechanism to explicitly address that
issue (e.g. Origin servers mark content as non-ending somehow).

In terms of progressing, it would be useful if some browser vendor(s)
were interested, to get some prototype implementation going for testing
and evaluating the best way forward.  I can provide a proxy for testing
fairly quickly.

Cheers

Adrien