Re: Transfer-Encoding in a HEAD response

On Apr 13, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Wenbo Zhu wrote:

>>> Well, this is not directly related to HEAD response.
>>
>> See step 1:
> Well, this brings up my original question: if C-L is considered a
> valid header for HEAD response, then transfer-encoding should be too,
> i.e. in the context of 3.4 Message Length.

Content-length provides useful information for resource testing.
Transfer-encoding does not.  Moreover, T-E is almost always
generated by the server's messaging subsystem, not the resource
handler, and requires an elaborate test of HTTP versioning prior
to use.  It is mainly for the latter reason that servers do not
send T-E in a response to a HEAD request.

I see no reason to change this behavior in Apache httpd, so my
preference would be to clarify in the spec that there is no need
to send T-E in a response to HEAD regardless of the value it
might have for a GET.

....Roy