RE: Clarifying Content-Location (Issue 136)

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Robert Brewer wrote:
> > Yes, although I don't think that quite "removes the SHOULD
> > for the case where there's only one entity".
>
> It doesn't?

I actually read the proposed text before reading your rationale, and I
read it as SHOULD for only one entity. The word "especially" wasn't a
strong enough modifier, I think.

> > Also, must we continue the tradition of adding adverbs ad
> > infinitum to create long, passive, run-on sentences?
> > ;)
> >
> >   The "Content-Location" entity-header field supplies a URI for the
> >   entity in the message when it is different than the requested
> >   resource's URI. When a resource has multiple entities accessible
> >   at separate locations, a server SHOULD provide a Content-Location
> >   for the variant.
>
> Yes, that's better. How about changing the end to
>
>    ...SHOULD provide a Content-Location for the returned entity.

Even better. I actually considered that but wasn't confident enough in
my knowledge of the distinction between "entity" and "variant" to
propose that change.

Robert Brewer
fumanchu@aminus.org