header parsing, trailing OWS

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:02:45 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

in part 1 we currently say:

"The field value MAY be preceded by optional whitespace; a single SP is
preferred. The field-value does not include any leading or trailing
white space: OWS occurring before the first non-whitespace character of
the field-value or after the last non-whitespace character of the
field-value is ignored and MAY be removed without changing the meaning
of the header field." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-07.html#rfc.section.4.2.p.4>

In the current edits, the last 'MAY' is a 'SHOULD', which makes it read

"A field value MAY be preceded by optional whitespace (OWS); a single SP
is preferred. The field value does not include any leading or trailing
white space: OWS occurring before the first non-whitespace character of
the field value or after the last non-whitespace character of the field
value is ignored and SHOULD be removed without changing the meaning of
the header field."

I think what we really should say is that they MAY be removed before
passing the field-value to a specific header parser, thus definitions of
headers MUST NOT make the presence of trailing/leading whitespace
semantically significant.

BR, Julian