Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:52:02 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Ian Hickson wrote:
> A tool like 'wget' could automatically support things like <link
> rel=stylesheet>, <link rel=icon>, and whatever other such extensions
> browser vendors come up with, without having to ship new releases, if it
> could update its behaviour based on the registry.

Again: how is this supposed to scale? How frequently do you expect
clients to lookup the registry? Should they cache? Should they implement
a negative cache?

>> Does this work?
>
> Seems reasonable, though I am still skeptical as to the use of the title*
> feature in practice. It seems better to me to just have one title
> attribute, in one language, and to upgrade HTTP to support UTF-8 in
> headers.

These are orthogonal issues. You *could* define that there must be only
one title. Also, HTTP can not easily be upgraded to change the header
encoding; this has been discussed a lot over here in the last years, and
my understanding is that we would need to change the major version number.

BR, Julian