Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth and HTTP caching

From: John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:56:02 +0000
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On the server side, one of the concerns in the past has been security in
shared hosting systems where e.g., basic auth data should be handled by a
secure container (Apache) and not passed on in raw form to hosted CGI
scripts.  So some of this comes back to what minimum level of hosting should
be targeted by the specification -- and how much it should bend over
backwards to deal with "challenged" environments.

My $.02 is that we should follow the HTTP spec (Authorization: and
WWW-Authenticate:) and take a minimum distance path to route around limited
environments if necessary (X-Authorization: and X-WWW-Authenticate:, with
exactly the same content, would be my proposal).

--
John Panzer / Google
jpanzer@google.com / abstractioneer.org <http://www.abstractioneer.org/> /