Re: Multi-server HTTP

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> On 08/09/2009, at 11:19 AM, Anthony Bryan wrote:
>
>> Here's what I have now. More inclusive is good but I think someone
>> else would be better at writing it than me.
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-metalinkhttp
>>
>> Link Relation Type Registration: "duplicate"
>>
>>  o Relation Name: duplicate
>>  o Description: Refers to an identical resource that is a
>> byte-for-byte equivalence of representations.
>
> Does this imply that each resource has exactly the same set of
> representations, or that when two resources share representations, those
> representations are duplicates?

The latter.

Any suggestions for replacement text? Because what I have isn't cutting it.

>> Here's what it looks like:
>>
>>  Link: <http://www2.example.com/example.ext>; rel="duplicate";
>>  Link: <ftp://ftp.example.com/example.ext>; rel="duplicate";
>>  Link: <http://example.com/example.ext.torrent>; rel="describedby";
>>  type="torrent";
>
> Do torrents have media types yet?

Not as far as I know.

Which is also why in draft-bryan-metalink we have this:

4.2.10.2. The "type" Attribute

   metalink:metaurl elements MUST have a "type" attribute that indicates
   the MIME type of the metadata available at the IRI.  In the case of
   BitTorrent as specified in [BITTORRENT], the value "torrent" is
   required.  Types without "/" are reserved.  Currently, "torrent" is
   the only reserved value.

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads