defining "Request-URI", was: #110: how to determine what entity a response carries

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Note that 'request-URI' is used here; however, we need to come up with a
> term to denote "the URI that can be inferred from examining the
> request-target and the Host header."

I think that definition should go into either Part 1, Section 4.1.2
("request-target") or Section 4.2 ("The Resource Identified by a Request").

request-target allows 4 different formats:

   request-target = "*"
                  / absolute-URI
                  / ( path-absolute [ "?" query ] )
                  / authority

As far as I can tell, Request-URI only needs to be defined for the 2nd
and 3rd case.

In case #2 it would be the request-target.

In case #3, it would be "http:" + value of host header + request-target.

But then, what about https? Do we need to consider this in this context?
Or should we potentially not include the scheme, thus just use

   hier-part [ "?" query ]

? (in which case "Request-URI" would be a bad choice of names).

BR, Julian