Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

In CMIS, URIs are opaque and we do not impose any constraints on how URIs
are formed.  Navigation is done through link relations - up and down.
Traditional computer science tends to use parent for a direct ancestor (see
graph/tree models) and ancestor for any node above that specific node in
the hierarchy.  IMO, 'ancestor', 'parent', 'child', and 'descendant'
terminology would be less ambiguous.

The terms 'up' and 'down' tend to provide directional information and it
would be nice if distance could also be conveyed.

I tend to read the up registration as supporting a system that supports a
node belong to more than one hierarchy (graph) and thus having more than
one parent.  I believe the divilly basic navigation draft clarifies up to
direct parent.

-Al

Al Brown
Emerging Standards and Industry Frameworks
CMIS: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMCMIS/Home
Industry Frameworks: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMIF/Home

Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 263 6441
Email  albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any
attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the
person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any
dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify
the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original
message and any attached documentation.