Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

From: Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:24:58 +0100
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:09:41AM -0700, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
> > This is arguably a good thing.
>
> Ambiguous is not a good thing when it comes to link relations. If the client
> cannot figure out what the document author intended, things tend to break.

I think that depends heavily on the application of the technology. The Web is
traditionally a very "loose" environment, where UAs have spent decades figuring
out what authors have meant using reasonably good heuristics. So within that
context, I think that a bit of built in ambiguity promotes flexibility.

Best,