Re: [draft-nottingham-http-link-header-06] rev

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:51:25 +1000
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> I know where you're coming from.
>> However, rev's semantics are *extremely* muddy and effectively
>> format-specific; I think we're already at the point where it is
>
> Really? Pointer?

There was a long discussion about this; as I remember it, different
versions of HTML have different wordings of what rev is, leading
people to wildly varying understandings of what it means. I can dig up
references if you like, but it was discussed quite extensively.

>> re-defined every time it's used. And, defining it syntactically in
>> Link without defining its semantics doesn't seem like the right
>> thing to do.
>
> Minimally we should ensure that it's not used as a name for future
> extension parameters if that use would conflict with the text in RFC
> 2068.

>> Thus, it seems to me that the options are to either take it out of
>> the syntax completely, or leave it in the syntax for the sole
>> purpose of deprecating it (since we can't really define crisp
>> semantics for it).
>
> If these are the choices, I'd definitively prefer the latter

Anne? Ian? IIRC both of your requested the removal of "rev"; how do
you feel about leaving it in the grammar but strengthening the text to
clarify that implementations are not required to interpret / use it?

Cheers,