Re: #172 (take over HTTP Upgrade Token Registry) – httpbis

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 04:45:16 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
lör 2009-08-15 klockan 22:13 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:

> ...broken in that the value to be registered isn't "1", right?

Right.

> Citing the registration procedure:
>
> >    6.  The responsible party for the first registration of a "product"
> >        token MUST approve later registrations of a "version" token
> >        together with that "product" token before they can be registered.
>
> ...which licenses the registration of just a token.

Which is entirely in order here I think. But would probably be enforced
anyway if there was expert review requirements for registering
product/version pairs.

> So it seems the registry can take both.

Good.

> My proposal thus is to instruct IANA to change the registry to:
>

> Value      Description                  Reference
>
> HTTP       Hypertext Transfer Protocol  [RFC2616]
> TLS/1.0    Transport Layer Security     [RFC2817]
> WebSocket  WebScocketProtocol           [draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol]

+1, with a little spellcheck

WebSocket   The Web Socket protocol      [draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol]

Regarding TLS that protocol is already at revision 1.2, and by the time
someone actually tries to use HTTP Upgrade for the purpose it's probably
some revisions later... but I doubt the registry will be updated even if
people starts to use TLS/1.2.

Regards
Henrik