Re: iPhone streaming Internet-Draft posted

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:19:32 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Travis W. Brown" <travis@apple.com>, Steve Sinclair <steve.sinclair@apple.com>, http-live-streaming-review <http-live-streaming-review@group.apple.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Aug 3, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>FWIW, I agree with Daniel on this one; there are lots of good
>reasons to purposefully separate the format and the protocol. If you
>need to specify a combination to use with your software, it's normal
>practice to say that in the documentation.
>
>That's not to say that it wouldn't be appropriate to have a section
>or appendix on using the format with HTTP, of course.

Almost every RFC that specifies a network protocol also specifies a
data format. RFC 2616, for instance, specifies HTTP headers.

Although the draft specifies the m3u8 playlist format, its primary
purpose is to describe a protocol by which a client may obtain a
continuous stream of media from an HTTP server.

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.