Re: anchor parameter, was: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 09:04:41 +0000 (UTC)
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> > Unless there are really strong use cases, I think that the anchor= attribute
> > should be dropped. In practice, implementations today ignore that attribute,
> > which would mean that, e.g., a rel=stylesheet;anchor=a link would fail to
> > have the "right" effect. If it is kept, then the right behaviour for how
> > this should integrate with style sheet linking should be defined in great
> > detail.
>
> Could you please elaborate what the "right" effect is, and how current
> implementations fail for that?

Well unless I'm mistaken, if we have a resource A that has:

   Link: <B>; rel=stylesheet; anchor=C

...then that means we have a link:

   C - stylesheet - B

...which means that applying the style sheet to A would be wrong. Yet that
is what UAs that support Link: would presumably do.

> It appears to me that anchor is not relevant for every single link
> relation, but that doesn't mean it's not useful at all.

I don't see how it can't be relevant... if the link relation is between
two resources, then acting as if it was a relationship between others
seems wrong.