Re: Questions (errata?) about caching authenticated responses [#174]

<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/174>

On 25/07/2009, at 9:19 AM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Making that decision on must-revalidate just feels odd to me as it's
> not
> what must-revalidate is about. In all other aspects must-revalidate
> places further restrictions on the cache (shared & private), not
> enabling.

Agreed.

> Maybe we may change the implementation regarding s-maxage to implicit
> assume public when s-maxage is used as this is an explicit instruction
> for a shared cache which does not make sense to see on private
> content.
> But it then begs the question if proxy-revalidate also means public,
> which it probably should do by the same reasoning.

Yes. My inclination here would be to make it as simple as possible,
keeping in mind the behaviour of current implementations.

> Perhaps the intention actually was to use proxy-revalidate in that
> text
> and not must-revalidate. If proxy-revalidate is substituted in that
> text
> then it becomes coherent and makes some sense. But I do not know if
> that
> was the intention as I was not around in the discussions then. I
> probably could have been but were not as I was not familiar with the
> workings of IETF then.

I had a quick look through the old caching list and didn't find
anything, but this list's predecessor had a few relevant bits:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1996MayAug/0470.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1996MayAug/0473.html

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1996SepDec/0578.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1996SepDec/0582.html
   http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-mogul-http-revalidate-01.txt

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1998MayAug/0133.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1998MayAug/0137.html

(still looking through these to draw my own conclusion)