Chopan - Compressed HTTP Over PANs (draft-frank-6lowpan-chopan-00)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:33:14 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
I just looked at

     <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-frank-6lowpan-chopan-00>

and I'm a bit concerned by the fact that this essentially profiles HTTP.

For instance, it makes it impossible to use HTTP extensions that use
"new" method names or status codes. Profiling like this has been a
concern in the past, such as when the Atom WG discussed whether it could
rely on DELETE and PUT due to restricted implementations/mappings that
would only allow GET and POST -- so the problem may not be apparent
right now considering deployed HTTP applications, but it will once
people want to do new things.

In particular (just from a quick reading):

- HTTP extension methods not supported
- some standard headers are restricted in what they can carry (ETag,
Cache-Control)
- some headers are listed as "standard", but do not seem to be
registered ("Awake-Time"?)
- new headers are allowed to be stripped (that closes an important
extension point)

I can see why the compression is optimized for common HTTP features, but
it really shouldn't make extensions hard or impossible.

Best regards, Julian