Re: [#177] Realm required on challenges

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:00:59 +0200
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> I question the validity of requiring that realm be a parameter of every
> (even new) scheme that has a challenge.
>
> I've never seen a browser use the realm for anything other than a label in a
> dialog box either.

Plain wrong!

See http://ltgt.net/tests/http-auth-realm/

I tested it in IE8, Firefox 3.5, Opera 9.64, Safari 4 and Chrome
3.0.191.3 (Dev channel), all on Windows.
Only Chrome fails the test and do not ask for your credentials when
going from Foo to Bar the first time; all others take the realm into
account when storing the credentials for use in subsequent requests;
realm is not just a label in a dialog box.

--
Thomas Broyer