Re: NEW ISSUE: content sniffing

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:
> So then surely the last word on what type of content something is, should be
> the actual content itself?

Such an algorithm would maximize compatibility but cost security.

Suppose we had an oracle that told us the "true" MIME type for a given
HTTP response.  The Content-Type header would still be an important
security feature.  For example, consider a server that replies with
the following:

If a user agent treats this response as text/html (supposing the
oracle agrees with our intuition that this response is, in fact,
HTML), then the user agent has likely opened the server up to a
cross-site scripting attack.  Instead, the user agent should treat
this response as an image.

> So if any sniffing is to be done, surely it should only be the client?  In
> which case why don't clients just ignore the Content-Type header always and
> always try and determine the type themselves.  Some seem to do this already.

None of the major browsers do this anymore because of these security issues.

Adam