Re: NEW ISSUE: content sniffing

From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:23:21 +1300
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Sounds like a good argument for some apache mod.... e.g if the file has
a certain extension, look for some <ATTRIB> </ATTRIB> section at the
start of the file to contain entity attributes which are then stripped
out of the content, but poked into the headers when returned by the server.

Then anyone can set whatever attributes they need to by putting it into
their content, and the server doesn't need to maintain a separate
database of that infomation, or try to deduce it itself (maybe by sniffing).

Do servers sniff to try and fill in the Content-Type field?  Most I
think have a fairly simplistic static mapping of file extension to
Content-Type.  Many types of content already have a signature in them
which can be used to determine type. e.g jpegs, gifs etc.

Regards

Adrien