Re: NEW ISSUE: content sniffing

From: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:37:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
>>> When different user agents use different sniffing algorithms, content
>>> authors pay a large cost, both in terms of compatibility and in terms
>>> of security.  For user agents that wish to perform sniffing, I think
>>> we'd be doing the Web a service by specifying which algorithm they
>>> should use.
>>
>> I agree, which is why I suggested a link from 2616bis to the
>> algorithm.  Do you feel that to be insufficient?  If so, why?
>
> I don't have a strong opinion about which document should contain the
> algorithm, but I think we're better off making the algorithm normative
> (for those agents that wish to sniff) rather than informative.  That
> will help prevent developers of sniffing user agents from implementing
> divergent sniffing algorithms.

I disagree ... encoding what is essentially a heuristic algorithm which
will need to change as content types morph into standard status is the
wrong thing to do. Certainly in the HTTP standard.

I recall some months ago a 'proposal' for some kind of flag which
essentially said believe what I say or reject my content .. sniffing not
allowed. Something like that makes sense.

Sniffing, if documented/standardized, needs to be a different document.
Sniffing started because of incorrect marking of response content. Getting
engineers who needed to sniff in the first place to limit themselves to a
common algorithm seems unlikely. To even follow a highly static process in
a dynamic place like the web makes no sense to me.

Dave Morris