Pipelining in HTTP 1.1

From: Preethi Natarajan (prenatar) <prenatar@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:27:16 -0400
To: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Cc: "Jonathan Leighton" <leighton@cis.udel.edu>, "Paul D. Amer" <amer@cis.udel.edu>, "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Hello folks,

I would like your comments on the following. This is w.r.t. HTTP over
SCTP (draft-natarajan-http-over-sctp-01) and I am trying to comprehend
"pipelining" in the context of HTTP 1.1.

>From Section 8.1.2.2 of RFC2616:

"A client that supports persistent connections MAY "pipeline" its
requests (i.e., send multiple requests without waiting for each
response). A server MUST send its responses to those requests in the
same order that the requests were received."

We (SCTP folks) assume that "persistent connection" in this section
refers to a persistent _transport_connection. When multiple HTTP
requests and responses are sent back-to-back on a persistent transport
connection, the HTTP transactions are pipelined.

In our HTTP over SCTP streams design, we recommend transmitting HTTP
requests/responses over different SCTP streams, but note that these
reqeusts/responses are transmitted back-to-back within an SCTP transport
connection. I.e., the HTTP transactions are pipelined across multiple
streams of an SCTP transport connection but are not pipelined within an
SCTP stream. I am tempted to say that this design still confirms to the
"pipelining" definition as per RFC2616.

Thoughts?
Preethi