Re: required behaviour of client when abortive disconnect

Adrien de Croy wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been testing several clients to see what they do when downloading a
> resource and the connection is closed "abortively".
>
> In this case, "abortively" means that either
>
> a) transfer-encoding chunked is used, yet no final '0' chunk is sent -
> the connection is simply closed (Proxy-connection: Keep-alive was sent)
> b) Content-Length is set, yet the connection is terminated prior to this
> amount of resource data being transferred.
>
> I tested Firefox, Chrome and IE7.
> In all cases, the browser simply considered the transfer to be complete
> (even though it was terminated at 75%), and made the downloaded file
> available as if it had downloaded properly.  No warning or any message
> was presented.
>
> I find this more than a little disturbing, is this intended or desired
> behaviour?  I would expect at least some message from the browser saying
> the connection was closed prior to the file completing download.

I agree this is a big problem, in particular if it also occurs in the
context of "save as" (or Content-Disposition: attachment). Does it?

Before we consider clarifications to the spec it would probably be good
to raise this problem in the Mozilla and Chrome issue trackers, and see
what feedback we'll get...

Best regards, Julian