Re: Review of Content-Encoding: value token

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Well, if we leave the text how it is, it will have that effect...

Clarifying: I do agree that using Content-Encoding for encodings that
are lossy on the octet stream level probably is a bad idea.

And yes, implementations that introduce content codings need to make
sure that outgoing (Etag:) and incoming etags (conditional headers) are
transformed correctly. If that's not yet clear enough in the spec, we
should improve it.

That being said, the current spec text about Content Codings says:

"Content coding values indicate an encoding transformation that has been
or can be applied to an entity. Content codings are primarily used to
allow a document to be compressed or otherwise usefully transformed
without losing the identity of its underlying media type and without
loss of information." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p3-payload-05.html#rfc.section.3.2>

I can see that in this case (when encoding an XML document in a new
binary encoding), some people will argue that indeed there is no loss of
information.

So,

- is it allowed (do not change the spec), or

- is it allowed, but considered a bad idea (add a note to the spec?), or

- it it disallows (clarify the spec to speak about octet-by-octet identity).

BR, Julian