Re: Use of Link rel+type for application discovery

From: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:36:57 +0000
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
CC: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
> In Link headers / elements, the 'rel' attribute defines the relationship and the 'type' attribute provides a hint regarding the content type of the destination resource. Is it correct to assume that while 'type' does not define a relationship (as in, 'image/*' means 'my pictures'), applications may require that both the 'rel' and 'type' attribute carry a certain value when used.
>
> In other words, is it valid to say "look for a link with rel='a' and type='b' and only if both found, do something"?

That seems to be a valid approach for an application to take, but one
can also argue that the rel type might be sufficient. How many HTML link
headers bother to include type="text/css" alongside rel="stylesheet"?
Without checking my guess is that browsers will all-but ignore the type.
The same won't be true for other rel types.

> I assume yes, but want to make sure this does not violate anyone's view on the use of 'type' in a MUST match criteria.

Valid at the application level, but as it's a hint, then it really can't
be more than a MAY at documentation level IMO.

Phil.

--
Phil Archer
w. http://philarcher.org/