Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:27:13 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, robert@ocallahan.org, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Or is the relevant text somewhere in the
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#concept-media-load-resource
>> section?
>
> That is the relevant algorith, yes; specifically the second and third
> cases in the first set of cases in the list in step 3.

OK, then agreed that this allows sniffing of the video data if the type
is not provided.

Note that Gecko, at least, sniffs all HTTP responses without a
Content-Type header, and after that treats them all effectively as
metadata-provided.  It sounds like doing that is fundamentally
incompatible with this specification, though, unless we teach our
sniffer to recognize video/audio types by data, not just by extension...

-Boris