Re: httpbis-p6-cache-06 and no-store response directive

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:53:18 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Bil Corry <bil@corry.biz>, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, yngve@opera.com, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I'm going to push back on that a bit. I'd put forth that any browser
> that doesn't understand Cache-Control: no-store is also not going to
> do Ajax (because it'll lack XmlHttpRequest), isn't going to have what
> people today consider a usable JS implementation, etc. CC has been
> around for a *long* time.

I'm not sure what Ajax has to do with this.

Defeating caches is useful for non-Ajax pages too.  In fact, I've only
encountered thorough cache-defeating advice in a non-Ajax context.

(And a side point: Ajax can be done without XmlHttpRequest.  Sometimes
even on modern browsers, due to XmlHttpRequest having stricter source
checks than <iframe src=...>, and alternate domains being needed to
work around the 2 connection per domain limit when doing
streaming/long-polling...)

> I'm in the midst of putting together some tools to get some metrics
> off of implementations ATM...

That's great :-)

-- Jamie