RED: a tool for examining HTTP resources

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:56:09 +1000
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
[ this isn't WG business, but may be interesting to WG members ]

One of the things I've been doing in my copious (hah) spare time
recently is working on a tool to examine HTTP resources and issues
found as well as other interesting characteristics.

This is a replacement for the Cacheability Engine (for those who
remember it), and is explicitly not caching-specific. In fact, I've
rewritten the stack down to sockets to get as much visibility into
what's happening on the wire as possible*.

There's a public instance at:
   http://redbot.org/
and code, issues, mailing list and the like are at:
   http://redbot.org/project

For example:
   http://redbot.org/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2F
(make sure you roll over the various messages)

There's still a lot of work to be done; I've really only roughed in
the framework and the most basic tests. My hope is to expand the test
corpus quite a bit, and would love any suggestions, corrections,
contributions and collaboration**.

Cheers and back to your regular programming,

* A nice side effect of this is that I've been using Roy's changes in
p1 to implement the message parsing algorithm, and I can confirm that
it's a *lot* better than 2616!

** Something which Github makes quite easy; with an account you can
fork the code, raise issues, suggest forks to fold back in, and
comment on individual lines of code.