CR and LF in chunk extension values

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:07:00 +0200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Hi,

  A chunk extension value is defined as either token or quoted-string. A
quoted-string allows CRs and LFs for folding and in escaped form under
RFC 2616; we have since outlawed the escaped form, and in headers, but
not chunk extension values, we now outlaw producing them for folding as-
well. Accepting and processing the latter correctly still appears to be
a SHOULD level requirement; I am not sure about the former.

It appears that implementations usually just read a line and ignore any-
thing after the first ";" character at the beginning of a chunk. Perhaps
the specification should use a CRLF-free quoted-string instead for this;
if not, the considerations for obs-fold should apply to chunk extension
values aswell, or obs-fold should not be used for chunk extension values
(which would require a separate quoted-string production aswell).

regards,