Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

From: Werner Baumann <werner.baumann@onlinehome.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:26:20 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Am Sun, 14 Jun 2009 07:36:56 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>:

> Thanks to everyone for the various examples of pages that do content
> negotiation.

Now its going to get cynical, so I must join.

Please enter "telnet www.debian.org 80" at your command line and after
the connection is established enter either

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.debian.org

or

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.debian.org

The bags of bits will look quite different. Indeed they represent the
same content in different languages.

I must admit this example is a bit unfair on my side, because Debian
lacks everything that is important in WWW today (no advertising, no
data mining, no cross-side-whatsoever, no active content trying to
conquer your computer, just information).

Werner

P.S.: As far as I can remember there has been a lengthy discussion
about this terminolgy about halve a year ago. It ended in removing the
unnecessary term "variant".