Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:32:23 +0000 (UTC)
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> that code shows Chrome using the file extension to look up a content
> type from the windows registry, so it's clearly showing Chrome using the
> file extension to determine content type.  The fact that the DB of
> extension to type is provided by the OS, doesn't alter the fact that
> Chrome is using it.

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> OK..This does raise the question of what does a server do.
>
> I don't know of any servers (in my relatively limited knowledge of
> servers) that doesn't just use the file extension to choose content type
> when serving. If the served type is supposed to be the authoritative
> reference, you get problems when a server has a smaller database of
> extension-to-type than the client.

I believe that everything you're writing above is consistent with what
Adam's draft says, namely:

# For resources fetched from the file system, user agents should use
# platform-specific conventions, e.g. operating system file extension/
# type mappings.
#
# File extensions MUST NOT be used for determining resource types for
# resources fetched over HTTP.