Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> IME this distinction is critical and not making it causes all sorts of
> problems.

Like what?

> Are you seriously suggesting that you want to re-defined "resource"
> across the scope of the Web -- both in the W3C and IETF?

I'm claiming that the term "resource" already means "bag of bits" and that
it is only within the context of the URI specs and the HTTP specs that
anyone claims otherwise, and that these claims are based on a distinction
that is purely theoretical and doesn't actually affect deployed content,
or users, except for confusing them. (Can you get any Web designer to
correctly explain the difference between the terms resource identifier,
resource, and resource representation as you use them?)