Re: HTTP Batch Request Draft

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:55:15 +1000
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
My initial reaction is that I'm not a fan.

It seems to me that this encourages tunnelling over HTTP to overcome
the limitations of pipelining and other aspects of the connection.

While there may be some places for it, I think it'll end up being used
indiscriminately, reducing the amount of visibility into the protocol
that the infrastructure gets.

The right way to fix these problems is to fix the underlying transport
issues; e.g., see the discussions around HTTP over SCTP. In the
meantime, applications that need this type of functionality can define
local use of POST to do the same thing...

Cheers,