IANA Registration Requirements for Status Codes and Method Names

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:26:12 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

in Part 2 we currently state for both:

"Any document registering new method names should be traceable through
statuses of either 'Obsoletes' or 'Updates' to this document."

I think we inherited that from RFC2817, Section 7.1.

IMHO this doesn't make sense; the "updates" relation shouldn't be used
just because a specification uses a well-defined extension point that
already has a registry.

Proposal: remove the requirement from sections 2.1 (method names) and
4.1 (status codes).

BR, Julian