Re: i37: Vary and non-existant headers

From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 13:06:44 +1200
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
CC: 'HTTP Working Group' <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Brian Smith wrote:
> Adrien de Croy wrote:
>> In the case of say Accept-Encoding, what if a server sends a vary tag
>> with Accept-Encoding in it, yet there is no Content-Encoding field (e.g.
>> no encoding, but the server selected on Accept-Encoding)?
> That is the normal case. If the server decided to send a non-encoded version
> due to the absence of an Accept-Encoding, then it has to include
> Accept-Encoding in the Vary.
that's not what I meant.  I meant maybe the original request had an
Accept-Encoding header, the server sent back a response with Vary
Accept-Encoding, but no Content-Encoding header, since it wasn't
encoded.  this was then cached.

Then another request came in without an Accept-Encoding header.

What I'm trying to get at is: is there any case to be made for
validation between the Accept-* headers and the matching Content-*
headers of the original request and response, and whether this should
have any bearing on matching for subsequent requests.