Re: CONNECT command with message body

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:00:44 +0200 (CEST)
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
cc: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, 5 May 2009, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> The spec reads to me like a client can send CONNECT followed by data
> to be tunnelled immediately if the CONNECT is successful.
>
>>    The usual caveats also apply: data may be discarded if the eventual
>>    response is negative, and the connection may be reset with no response if
>>    more than one TCP segment is outstanding.
>>
>> Is it that "data may be discarded" part? It's not clear to me what data
>> this refers to.
>
> See RFC2616 8.2.2 "Monitoring Connections for Error Status Messages".
>
> If you have a request with a body, and the response is an "error" (I
> could never decide if 3xx counts as an error for this), the server is
> allowed to send the error response before receiving the whole request,

Thanks.

With your help I think I now lean towards this interpretation. The 'data may
be discarded' only makes sense to me if data can be sent in the request-body
for CONNECT. Without that, there is no data to discard.

I guess this only confirms that I am useless for trying to interpret that
paragraph. I'll go back to my corner now.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se