Re: NEW ISSUE: Drop Content-Location

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 02:52:31 +0000 (UTC)
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Roy Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Anne and Ian, does this adequately encompass your issue? If other
> aspects are important, it would be helpful if you provided a succinct
> summary.

IIRC, browsers have found it impossible to implement Content-Location as
setting the base URI for a document without breaking significant content
on the Web. So long as what HTTP defines is implementable in a manner that
is compatible with legacy content, the issue would be resolved, I think.
IMHO it is not critical whether this is done by making the header have no
effect, have some other effect, or removing the header altogether (though
the former seems pointless).