RE: HTTP 301 responses for POST

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:06:51 +0100 (CET)
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Eric Lawrence wrote:

> Can you please elaborate further here-- do specific examples come to mind?
>
> For as long as I can recall, Netscape, IE, Firefox, Safari, etc, have
> treated 301, 302, and 303 as "redirect with GET" while 307 is treated as
> "redirect with original method."  This matches Yngve's findings.
>
> I would be fascinated to find a web browser that behaves differently.

I don't have the specific users nor servers around to tell, no. I guess I'm
just saying that the wording in RFC2616 has made people go both ways and thus
boys ways is what we've felt necessary to support in our redirection-following
logic.

It's of course entirely possible that this was done for something that weren't
including any of the major browsers, but the fact remains. In my reading, a
POST that gets a 301 or 302 back, SHOULD NOT change that to a GET in the
subsequent request. The only clients who'd do that are those who want to mimic
old non-compliant browsers. Of course, that ends up just about all browsers I
guess (including libcurl in its default behavior).

--

  / daniel.haxx.se