Re: #90: multipart/byteranges

tor 2008-12-11 klockan 00:10 +1100 skrev Mark Nottingham:

> I'm proposing that this requirement be rewritten and relocated because
> it's confusing as it is; taken out of context, the requirement states
> that the media type can only be used when the sender knows that the
> recipient can parse it, which makes sense, given its use to convey
> multiple byteranges.
>
> However, in context, it has a completely different meaning -- that the
> media type must not be used *to delimit messages* unless (...).

Well, one is a subset of the other. You can't use it as delimiter if you
can't use the media type.

> Even if your interpretation is the latter one, a much simpler
> formulation is that it can't be used for message delimitation with
> HTTP/1.0 receivers (next hop).

That's already there in the next sentence of the same 4.4 ยง4.

       A range header might be forwarded by a 1.0 proxy that does not
       understand multipart/byteranges; in this case the server MUST
       delimit the message using methods defined in items 1,3 or 5 of
       this section.

Regards
Henrik