RE: Feedback for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-03

From: Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@cordance.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:59:28 -0800
To: "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@gbiv.com>, "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Cc: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>

> On Dec 5, 2008, at 9:53 PM, Drummond Reed wrote:
> > Some recent feedback on Link Header highlights a serious issue with
> > that
> > workaround. Even if HTML5 drops "rev", it doesn't change the semantics
> > established in HTML4, RDFa, and other uses that "rel" and "rev" assert
> > outbound and inbound links, respectively.
> On December 06, 2008 12:14 AM Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Umm, no, they don't assert inbound links.  The only deployed value
> for rev (rev="Made") defines a link from this representation of a
> resource to its maker.  The only thing directional about it is the
> relation name itself, which implies an out relation, but it is the
> relation that is reversed by rev=name, not the link.  In your words,
> rev asserts an inbound relationship as an outbound link.

Now I'm confused. Julian Reschke in his message quoted from the HTML4 spec

"12.3.1 Forward and reverse links

The rel and rev attributes play complementary roles -- the rel attribute
specifies a forward link and the rev attribute specifies a reverse link.

Consider two documents A and B.

Document A:       <LINK href="docB" rel="foo">

Has exactly the same meaning as:

Document B:       <LINK href="docA" rev="foo">

Both attributes may be specified simultaneously."

(Note the last sentence)

That matches my understanding of rel and rev - if resource A has a link to
resource B (a link being "an arc of some kind connecting the two resource
nodes"), a rel attribute on that link describes an arc from A to B, and a
rev attribute on that link describes an arc from B to A.

Do I have that wrong?